Monday, March 11, 2013

Monday, March 11th, 2013

Andrew - Today was "preparation day" for the big week ahead. I have to say it feels weird staying in an almost resort-looking type of place, when there's so much else outside these gates that I am blind to. I was expecting to arrive at a dirt airport, then drive over to some small house to sleep on the floors. As  per usual in life, nothing is as expected. First of all the airport had a baggage system similar to ours with air-conditioned rooms and even a duty-free store, and considering I was expecting rubble, this was a huge difference. My mom said there have been huge renovations since she was here last, which seems like a good thing. Living in this... Resort/Hotel/Lodge... When there is so much poverty outside, feels wrong. I would feel so much better if I wasn't so secluded from everyone, I wish I could live with the people rather than safely here. I have to say today was very relaxing though, it gave me a chance to rest from travel before the interviews ahead. I am so relieved to finally be able to stay in this beautiful country of Haiti, however even here, I am still facing first world problems and sometimes don't realize that I am making them. Things like " no wifi " and " uncharged electronics" really make me feel bad when I see people who have hardly anything living in tiny tents and sheds. I am excited for the week ahead and can't wait to see and explore more of this amazing country.

No comments:

Post a Comment